The History of a Volunteer Fire Department

The Edgerton Community Fire Protective Association

Edgerton Fire Protection District

Edgerton Trimble Fire Protection District

Written by: Sharon Crowder

A Special Thanks to Becky Sellars for her contribution of the earlier history of the department

  On a warm afternoon in the late 1930”s, a fire broke out in a small building just north of Edgerton City Park. The fire destroyed four business buildings and some outdoor coal bins. There was no city water at that time, and no fire department. A bucket brigade was used. The St. Joseph Fire Department was called; in an effort to prevent the bank from being destroyed in the fire.

The central office was upstairs in the building on the northwest corner of Belt and Frank Streets. When there was a fire, the operator blew the whistle, which was perched on top of the building, it was remembered, “All you had to do was run and holler up from the sidewalk, and she would holler back and tell you where the fire was.

” A former firefighter remembers that one of the first “fire trucks” used in Edgerton was a Model T, which used a chemical mix of acid and soda to extinguish flames. The vehicle, owned by Archie Smith, was stored in Oscar Masoner’s garage at the corner of Frank and Aller streets (where Mid-Continent Public Library is now).

It was not uncommon for St. Joseph or North Kansas City fire departments to be called in to battle major blazes. Recognizing the need for fire protection closer to home, Edgerton was among the first small communities in the area to organize a fire department. Early records are sketchy, but it is believed the department was formed around 1948.

John Jewell, a retired Kansas City fire fighter, spearheaded the drive to form the department. Others involved in the effort included Lyle Enslow, Earl West, Charles Jackson, Oscar Davis, J.W. (Frog) Nash, Dude Harmer and Albert Sherwood. Jewell was the first chief.

With a $500 contribution from the Edgerton Chamber of Commerce, a 1942 pumper/tanker was purchased from an Army base in Nevada, Missouri. The old railroad depot was used as the first volunteer fire department. On September 17, 195

2, Edgerton Community Fire Protective Association Board of Directors C.B. Turney, R.S. Jones, R.H. Harmer, W.C. Wright, Ward Miller and Edgar Gaines submitted to the Platte County Court the Articles of Agreements for the formation of The Edgerton Community Protective Association. The Articles stated that the association was formed for the following purposes: (a) To organize, equip and maintain a volunteer Fire Department, equipped with fire fighting apparatus, for protection of real and personal property in a radius of approximately fifteen (15) miles of Edgerton, Missouri. (b) To purchase and own real and other property as may be necessary for the purpose of the association. (c) For the purpose above specified, to receive donations, to take and hold real and personal property by gift, grant, devise, bequest or purchase. Pecuniary profit is not the object of this cooperation. Permission to form an Association was granted September 23, 1952 at 8:15 A.M. by the Platte County Circuit Court and signed by clerk Fred. R. Rollins and Deputy Susie O’Rourke.

In 1960 the two-story depot was destroyed by a tornado. Three firefighters – Don Pullium, Harold Ashburn, and Don Guyer –were in the building at the time the tornado struck, and took shelter beneath a fire truck. A block building about the size of a two-car garage was built on the same location, through volunteer labor and donations. Junior Fire fighter at that time Kelly Spiers recalls carrying many concrete blocks and helping rebuild the station. Many say Chief Don Pullium was largely responsible for the completion of the structure.

In the mid 1970’s the volunteer fire department saw many changes – the first women to hold offices in the Edgerton Fire Department were Karen Hale, Secretary later replaced by Donna Hay and Sharon Crowder, Treasurer. United Telephone Company installed red siren activated switches on 4 residential and 2 business phones in Edgerton. They were placed in B’s Nu Style Salon, Wells Grocery, and the residences of Raymond Crowder, Tim McCoy, Charlie Guyer and James Kissick residence. Fires were reported by dialing “0”to speak with telephone operators; who would call or activate the fire phones. When the fire phones were rang it was one continuous ring, which did not stop ringing until one of the phones were answered. The operator would tell the person answering what the emergency was and that person would in turn push the red siren button for a minimum of one minute to activate the siren in the City Park. This was the fire fighters only source of notification that they services were needed. In 1974 Patti McCoy, Pam Guyer and Sharon Crowder formed the first phone committee to call all fire fighters after sounding the siren to verify that the siren had been heard and to tell the location and nature of the emergency. The phone committee was also use to relay information that the department’s Chief needed relayed to fire fighters for training, activities and work details, etc. Fire fighters living outside the city limits, mowing lawns, running machinery were unable to hear the siren and the phone committee was their only source of notification for some members.

Christmas of 1975 was the first year Edgerton Volunteer Firefighters hosted an annual Santa’s visit.

In the fall of 1977, a group of firefighters’ wives formed the Edgerton Fire Ladies Auxiliary. Charter members were: Pam Guyer, Patti McCoy, Sharon Crowder, Sonjia Rogers, Becky Sellars and Debbie Spiers. The auxiliary held fundraisers; assisted the firefighters by serving refreshments during trainings and helping them with their fundraisers. Edgerton Fire Ladies Auxiliary could be seen on Saturday mornings at Wells Grocery around every major holiday selling baked goods to raise money for the volunteer fire fighters.

In 1983, Earl “Toad” West single-handedly collected $4,000 in donations, which was used to purchase the 1952 Ford pumper. The truck served the department until 1994. Local residents and businesses that contributed to the truck purchase are named on a plaque, which hangs on the wall near the chief’s office in Station I. Their support will always be appreciated.

Prior to the formation of an Ambulance Services 98% of ambulance calls were provided by funeral homes in small rural areas. Single funeral homes attendants would volunteer help on calls of an emergency nature. In 1968 The Missouri Division of Health started formulating licensing and regulations on what constitutes an ambulance service. Three funeral directors in the Platte and Clinton County areas rather than discontinuing their ambulance services joined forces with other concerned citizens to help organize an ambulance service to take their place when the law came into affect. The new law was intended to upgrade emergency care to meet standards developed required basic emergency equipment, more workable space in ambulance patient care, and well trained personnel to operate them. Funeral directors realized that this new law would put a strain on their budgets. Nash Funeral Home later Hixson Funeral Home provided this service for the Edgerton area. Two area residents that ran ambulance calls for the funeral home were Albert Sherwood and Staley Snook (approx. years of service 1962-1966) prior to the formation of an ambulance service. They were medically trained through Emergency Civil Defense. The new law required a minimum staff of nine including three licensed medical technicians to apply for licensing under state regulations. All personnel were required to be at least American Red Cross Advanced First Aid certified. All the hard work in the formation of an ambulance service, hiring personnel, planning policy and procedures and setting up headquarters was rewarded on January 1, 1974 at 12:01 a.m. when Tri-County Ambulance officially became effective. All area funeral homes gave notice by letter to Tri-County’s Board stating they would discontinue their service as an ambulance at this time. Personnel used walkie-talkies for communication until they were replaced with a paging and radio system that allowed direct contact with area hospitals. The new law became effective January 1, 1975.

Edgerton Fire Department’s Medical Squad had it’s beginning in 1982 as Sharon and Raymond Crowder became American Red Cross State Certifified Advance First Aid trained ambulance attendant/drivers and in 1983 completed Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) trained also through Smithville Community Ambulance Service. The Crowder’s bought and supplied all medical supplies used on Medical calls. With the addition of Charlie Guyer, EMT in the fall of the same year and Bill Rogers, first responder trained in 1984, the Edgerton Fire Medical Squad was established. By 1994 the medical squad had grown to 10 EMT’s and 7 first responders. The volunteers were committed to providing a high level of emergency care, believing it a vital service to the community since the closest ambulance services had 15 to 20 minute response time.

April 15, 1985 Edgerton Fire Protection District was reevaluated and all equipment tested by ISO Commercial Risks Inc. and qualified for a Class 8/9 from the previous Class 9/10 resulting in a reduction of insurance rates for the citizens of our district.

In the summer of 1986 Fire Chief Tim McCoy informed The Edgerton Community Fire Protective Association Board Members, Garret Cozine, Don Hale, Bea Snook, James Snook II, Earl West, and Sharon Crowder of a better way to notify their fire fighters in an emergency through the Platte County Sheriff’s Department. For $125 to help defray costs Platte County Sheriff’s Department would place a different tone on their communication centers radio console for each fire department to be paged on the Platte County Road and Bridge frequency at no cost to all volunteer fire departments in Platte County. The board voted unanimously in favor of the proposal. By the fall of 1986 Edgerton Volunteer Fighters were able to purchase used pagers. The board also purchased the first Class A uniform shirt and patches for all firefighters the same year.

Fire trucks became larger over the years, but the building did not. When the 1967 International tanker was put into service in 1987, a large portion of the concrete floor had to be chipped out by volunteer fire fighters before the truck could be parked in the station. Trucks on one side of the station had to be pulled out in order to have room for the folding table and chairs for meetings. With three trucks in a small station many fire fighter received bruised hips from bumpers and bruises on shoulders and side of their heads from the outside rear view mirrors from time to time.

The first annual Fire Safety Workshop was held in September of 1987. Sharon Crowder was appointed Public Education Coordinator for the departments Fire Safety and Public Education Classes. On October 14, 1987 Edgerton Fire Ladies Auxiliary presented the department with a large assortment of medical and first aid supplies including a K.E.D board and Burn Kit. November 11, 1987 firefighters voted to purchase two (2) Med-Kits for all calls. December 9, 1987 Chief Tim McCoy appointed Raymond Crowder and Charlie Guyer Co-Medical Captains to oversee the Medical Squad response and training. The year 1989 was very good year for Edgerton firefighters and all Platte County residents. All firefighters became CPR trained. The Edgerton Fire Protective Association annual subscription dues collected each year was approximately $8,000 plus money raised from fund raisers with half being needed to pay insurance. Many fire fighters were forced to purchase their own turnout gear and equipment from second hand shops until a liability issue force large departments to destroy rather than give to departments and they no longer could be found for purchase. The fire department was facing future expenses with its station, as more services were needed to properly serve the community. A petition was filed with the Platte County Circuit Courts seeking a vote to form a fire district. In the previous years two prior petitions to form a Fire District had failed and the department faced a real crisis not being able to maintain or purchase adequate equipment. Rick Sellars was President of the Association at the time of the incorporation to become a Fire District. On November 7, 1989 voters gave their approval on the formation of a fire district by voting “yes” to a 30-cents per $100 assessed valuation. With voter approval, the department changed from an association with voluntary memberships, to a tax-supported district. The first board of directors for Edgerton Fire Protection District was: Quenton Kerr, Bob Black Jr., and Lee E Babbitt. These men lent their expertise in business, public relations and fire fighting to establish a strong foundation for the new district.

The Board of Directors appointed Raymond Crowder Chief in September 1991. The first women firefighters were: Becky Sellars, Pam Guyer and Raylene Turnbull in the fall of 1991. October 24, 1992 the enhanced 911-phone system went into effect in Platte County with Clinton County following on October 31, 1994 and Buchanan County on June 28, 1995. Brother Rick Lumm consented to fill the position of Champlain for Edgerton Fire Protection District in November 1992.

During the flood of 1993 Edgerton Volunteer firefighters provided manpower for the water relay in the Weston area and stood standby for area brother departments. Due to the flooding of the Platte River Bridge west of Edgerton and two 116 Highway bridges northwest of Edgerton creating a response time to Weston of approximately one hour going through Smithville to 92 Highway to bypass flooded lowlands. Gower was also in emergency situation with their city water supply and it was decided by Chief Crowder that Edgerton Firefighters would remain on the east side of the Platte River as back-up emergency support for their own district as well as Gower and standby for Smithville Fire also participating in the flooded areas west of the Platte River and providing back up for Camden Point Fire east of Skinners Bridge on E Highway. The departments greatest fear at that time was that our manpower and equipment would have a response time of one hour for arising emergencies in our district. Firefighters were assigned to respond by personally own vehicles for manpower to flooded area in Weston and a crew and fire apparatus were on 24 hour standby and alert status to provide protection for Camden Point east of Platte River and Gower whose water supply was shut down due to the floods.

March 31, 1993 Saint Lukes Northland Hospital announced that the Smithville Community Ambulance service would be discontinued March 31, 1994. After a successful petition drive and election on February 8, 1994 Northland Regional Ambulance Service was formed. NRAD covers the area of ETFPD district west of Platte River Bridge and south of Buena Vista and B Highway to the south.

In 1993 with the resignation of Board members Quentin Kerr, Lee E. Babbitt and Bob Black Jr. due to unforeseen circumstances. Mark Fisher, Kelly Spiers and Kenneth Miller were appointed to fill vacancies. On November 7, 1994 they ran unopposed for another term as Board of Directors for Edgerton Fire Protection District. Kenneth Miller served until he retired in 2004. Staley Snook Sr. ran unopposed in April 6, 2004 election. Becky Sellars has served as a contracted Secretary and Treasurer for EFPD since the formation of the district.

In March of 1994 earthwork began on the site of the new Edgerton Fire Protection District station in Edgerton. General contractor Mike Goodner of Goodner Construction erected the metal building. Sealed bids were being accepted for the sale of the current fire station building upon completion of the new 40 X 80-ft. metal building. Within this time frame of the history of EFPD the department added a 1972 Seagrave 1250 gallon-per minute pumper and a 1976 Dodge squad truck that will serve as a min-pumper and medical squad truck. Since 1989, funds had been set aside each year and enabled the department to purchased both fire apparatus in cash. The two other trucks owned by the district at this time were a 1968 International with a 650 Hale pump. It carried 1000 gallons of water and served as the tanker unit. The second truck was a 1969 4X4 Jeep grass truck. It carried 300 gallons of water, hose reel, rakes, and water back packs for fighting grass fires. The new station was completed in July of 1994 and was dedicated on September 10, 1994. EFPD served 48 square miles of portions of Platte, Clinton and Buchanan Counties. The old station was sold to the City of Edgerton for use to house the Edgerton Police Vehicle for $12,000..

Buddy and Virginia Boswell owner of the Union Mill Opry held a benefit show for EFPD on November 6, 1994. The $1,500 raised through the benefit was put in a fund making the reality of a future purchase of Extrication Equipment look brighter. Nearly all of the 19 department volunteers at that time were trained to use the equipment; however, the cost of the equipment had not allowed us to purchase it. The fire fighters at that time relied on neighboring departments to bring theirs extrication equipment to the scene. This would add as much as 20 minutes to the rescue time.

December 11, 1994 members of the Edgerton Fire Department were recognized by Robert Renick, coordinator of training and licensing for the State Bureau of EMS in Jefferson City, MO. Renick in the presence of Tri-County Administrator Carl Campbell presented the Tri-County registry to EFPD Chief Raymond Crowder. EFPD had met all registry requirements and was fully considered a first responder agency with Tri-County Ambulance Service. Tri-County was the first ambulance service to register a First Responder agency in the state of Missouri with the Bureau of EMS; this made EFPD’s medical squad the first First Responder agency registered under an ambulance service in the state. Members of the medical squad for EFPD were; Raymond Crowder, Charles Guyer, Doug Witt, Bill Rogers, Scott Bacon, Rick Sellars, Scott Addison, Mike Fisher, Jon Hyatt, Jon Wigand, Steve Perry, Renee Spiers, Sharon Crowder, Becky Sellars, and Raylene Perry.

On May 11, 1994 Deborah Clevenger, (later replaced by Jean Teaford upon Clevenger’s resignation due to conflict of meeting and her employment hours) Trimble Community Fire Association representative and Fire Chief Mike Shryock discussed with the EFPD Directors the possibility of the Trimble Fire Association being annexed into Edgerton Fire Protection District. Due to costs for equipment maintenance and fire suppression supplies prices and an approximate $10,000 annual budget that included fundraisers they could not continue to operate on such a small budget. Trimble had an ISO rating of 8/9; a 1970 truck, 1000 gpm/500 tank, a 1954 Ford pumper, a 1965 brush truck, and a 1-ton crew cab truck they were making into a brush truck. They currently have nine fighters with no daytime availability. A Trimble Fire Association town meeting was held in Trimble to discuss the annexation with their members on June 16, 1994 and started collecting signatures on a petition for the proposed annexation. In order to be annexed 100 signatures had to be collected but to be annexed with a tax base a vote had to be taken duration a general election. The vote passed on April 4, 1995 increasing the district from 48 to 61 square miles. Trimble Community Fire Association agreed to work with Edgerton Fire Board of Directors throughout the transition period from Trimble Community Fire Association to Edgerton Fire Protection District. On April 12, 1995 it was decided by the EFPD Board of Directors that as a show of good faith the District’s legal name would be officially changed to Edgerton-Trimble Fire Protection District. A resolution-requesting Platte County Court to authorize changing the department name was drawn up by district attorney Keith Hicklin and presented to Platte County Court for approval. The name change became official on June 16, 1995 in the Platte County Circuit Court.

The 1954 Pumper was donated to the Kansas City Fire Museum on May 20, 1995.Title and keys were presented to Jerry Adkins representative for the Kansas city Fire Museum. The vehicle was donated in behalf of all the men and women, past and present, who served as volunteer firefighters for the Trimble Community Fire Department.

August 13, 1995 four Edgerton-Trimble Fire Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT’s) delivered a baby girl, Carissa Moore in Edgerton, MO. Carissa weighed 7 lbs. 12 oz. And was 20 inches long. She arrived at 7:20 a.m. ETFPD EMT ‘s assisting with the delivery were Renee Spiers, Raylene Perry, Jimmy and Linda Taylor. Tri- County Ambulance Service honored the four EMT’s from Edgerton-Trimble Fire Department on Sunday September 10 for the delivery of a baby. Tri-County presented the EMT’s with a certificate of recognition and pink stork pins. ETFPD presented each with a pink stork patch to be sewn on their Class A uniform shirt.

Edgerton-Trimble Volunteer Firefighters were presented with a check for $1689 from the Missouri Conservation Forester Management Technician, Terry Greenwood on December 5, 1997 at the Edgerton-Trimble Station I in Edgerton. Equipment purchased from the RCFP Program matching 50/50 funds were as follows: 4 pairs of boots, 6 vest tanks for use in wildland fires, 1 low level strainer and 2 Maxon mobile radios This was not the only MCD matching grant received by ETFPD. In the past the department has purchased a pagers, radios, television, VCR and TV/Video cart to so that equipment could be mobile for training in any part of the station. Beside assisting rural fire departments with matching grants for equipment purchases, the Missouri Department of conservation has given two 4-wheel drive vehicles for wildland firefighting, small trailer, 5,000 watt generator, a pick up truck used as a support truck for carrying supplies. All equipment is on loan and must be returned if they are of no further use to the department. Terry Greenwood has also taught numerous wildland firefighting courses to volunteer firefighters and supplied rakes and a leaf blower for use in wildland fires at no cost to the department.

May 3, 2001 Buchanan County Emergency Management presented ETFPD with a 4-bottle 45000psi cascade system installed and ready to operate. All volunteer fire department belonging to the Buchanan County Fire Chief’s Association were presented with a cascade system.

The phone committee was discontinued in 2001 due to the fact most fire fighters had scanners, handheld radios, pagers and cell phones in their homes or on their persons at all times and a once needed service was no longer needed by the department.

February 1, 2002 ETFPD Received word that ISO had completed its analysis of structure fire suppression system provided on our district. The resulting classification of a Class 6/9 which would mean lower insurance rates and savings for the citizens in our district from the former 8/9. Many hours of preparation and paperwork has to be recorded and accessible to ISO at the time of evaluation. Pumpers have to have annual certified pump checks, inventory updated, points are given for portable equipment carried on apparatus such as foam on trucks, hours of trainings, apparatus maintenance and etc is also graded on a point system.

April 2, 2002 voters passed an additional 25-cent operational tax levy on the one hundred dollar assessed valuation to provide much needed funds for the support of the district. At this time ETFPD’s main pumper was 33 years old and beginning to have frequent incidences of failure and parts were almost impossible to find for repairs. The protective gear used by the fire fighters were dangerously torn, frayed and out of date and did not meet NFPA standards which compromised fire fighters safety. The self-contained breathing apparatus were in constant need of repairs and the cylinder air bottles were made of heavy steel with the newest being 22 years old. The air packs were not positive pressure packs and could have filled up with poisonous gases while being used during a fire or training.

Edgerton-Trimble Volunteer Fire Fighters have also contributed to cost savings for ETFPD by applying for Grants to help offset the costs of equipment needed. In order to qualify for Federal Grants ETFPD had to submit National Fire Reporting Systems (NFIRS) reports on all calls. ETFPD sponsored an NFIRS class at North Platte High School in June of 2002. The class was taught by Jim McKenney of Missouri Division of Fire Safety, Jefferson City, MO and was attended by 16 area departments.

ETFPD has been awarded the following grants submitted by ETFPD Grant Writer Sharon Crowder:

October 2002 -FY 2002 FEMA Assistance to Firefighters Grant was awarded to ETFPD for purchase of 23 full sets of turn out gear for $28,380. ETFPD 10% share was $2838.

September 2003 – FY 2003 ODP Assistance to Firefighters Grant was awarded to ETFPD for purchase of 16 complete sets with case SCBA (self-contained breathing apparatus) 18 spare bottles and 12 spare face pieces for $43,972. ETFPD 10% share was $4397.

2004 Homeland Security Grant was awarded to ETFPD for the purchase of a Multi-Gas Detector in the amount of $2200. This was a 100% reimbursement grant. 2004 Harrods Entertainment AED Grant was awarded to ETFPD for a Cardio Science AED (Automatic External Defibrillation) at no cost to the district.

 No word has been heard on the Fy2004 ODP Assistance to Firefighters Grant for a commercial size washing machine for cleaning bunker gear and a Liberty Trailer (portable cascade system capable to filling air tanks at the scene and refilling the department cascade system at Station I). Sharon Crowder is the Grant Writer and Manager for ETFPD.

May 15, 2003 ETFPD approved the purchase of 20 Motorola Minitor IV pagers with voice play back. Due to the age and need of constant repairs of department Motorola Minitor II pagers and failure to work during emergency call pages and parts becoming hard to find for repairs. The purchase of new pagers could not be postponed any longer. The voice play back feature eliminated the confusion of the locations and nature of emergency and created faster response time to the scene.

June 3, 2004 – ETFPD purchased a 2003 Pierce Pumper from Schmaucher Fire Equipment. Four ETFPD fire fighters were flown to Florida by Schmaucher to drive the Pumper to ETFPD Station I in Edgerton. Drivers were: Rodney N. Deckman, Steve Kidwell, Sandi and Junior Lehman. The next in line pumper was over 33 years old and parts are becoming hard to find for repairs.

Edgerton-Trimble volunteer firefighters are dedicated men and women committed to serving their communities as well as aiding their brother departments during calls and events. They may be seen on traffic control at parades and bike-a-thons; teaching first aid, fire safety, doing severe weather workshops or conducting bicycle rodeos. ETFPD firefighters work the pits at the Platte County Fair each year during the demolition derby and attend Patriots Day Celebrations held at North Platte High School. They are always willing to go that extra mile to provide the many services requested by the public.

November 2004 – Completion of new Station II in Trimble, located at 400 N 169 Highway. The older Station II locate on Port Arthur in Trimble was leased from the City of Trimble for $1.00 per year and had become to small for the newer and larger fire apparatus. This station was no larger than a two-car garage.

December 4, 2004, at 2:00 p.m. ETFPD hosted an Open House and Santa visit at the new Station II at 400 N. Highway 169 in Trimble, MO. Approximately 150 people attended both events. Guest speakers were: Mark Fisher, ETFPD President as Master of Ceremonies, Brother Rick Lumm , ETFPD Chaplain presented Invocation and Benediction, Tony Holland, Mayor of Trimble, Captain Mark Owen, Platte County Emergency Services, and Billie Moore, Chief of Holt Fire and President of Clinton County Chiefs Association. Daniel Shafer Post #445 American Legion presented the opening flag ceremony and led the Pledge of Alligience.Past board of Director Kenneth Miller was presented with an Appreciation Plaque for his past commitment and services to ETFPD. ETFPD Directors presented a plaque to be hung at Station I in Edgerton for all past and present directors. Raymond and Sharon Crowder presented two plaques; “Fireman’s Prayer” and “What is a Fireman” to be hung at the new Station II.

April 19, 2008 Chief Raymond Crowder after 17 yrs as chief retired and was appointed and sworn in as a Board of Director replacing retiring Director Kelly Spiers (15 years of dedicated service as a Board member and a total of 49 years as a firefighter and constant supporter of ETFPD) . Crowder joined the department in 1973 as a firefighter . Assistant Chiefs Bill Rogers 37 years of service and Scott Bacon 19 years of service. P.I.O. Sharon Crowder also retired as an active Firefighter/First Responder, P.I.O. and Grant Writer after 34 years of active service but remained as insurance and claims manager for the department. Rodney N. Deckman was appointed and sworn in as ETFPD Fire Chief replacing Raymond Crowder.

Mt Zion Baptist Church and ETFPD honored retiring Chief Raymond Crowder, Assistant Chief Bill Rogers and P.I.O. Sharon Crowder for their dedication and years of service during the November 15, 2008 North Platte Community Festival ETFPD Chief Rodney N. Deckman presented Crowder and Rogers with a mounted Fire Ax Plaque and Sharon Crowder with an acrylic plaque for all their hard work and dedication. Mt Zion Baptist Church presented Raymond Crowder with a Citizen of the Year Plaque.

Because written records of the departments earliest years are incomplete, it is impossible to name all those who have endured the hardships and contributed to the successes of this department since its humble beginnings. Though some names may have been forgotten over the years, the effort and dedication of those who brought us where we are today will never be forgotten.

This dedication and commitment continues as our volunteers today freely give their time, energy and resources to protect the lives and property of those who depend on them. With the valued support of the communities, the Edgerton-Trimble Fire Protection District will continue to grow, and the fire fighters’ proud tradition of being dedicated to serving their communities to the best of their ability and training will carry on.